Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Matt Young - ManiacZX - Member #2455  (Read 5633 times)
ManiacZX
Z Jedi
Awards:
    ZCCOTM August 2012

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »

This weekend I used knowledge gained from our last tech session on sway bars and brakes to do the following:

Hawk HPS Front Pads
    Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    Flushed all old brake fluid from system using Prestone DOT3 then filled and bled with Prestone DOT4
    Polyurethane bushings on front and back sway bars (both the frame mounts and the end links) from my Master Bushing Kit

I haven't gotten into any real heavy cornering yet, but it feels like there is less roll with the new bushings on the bars and it seems like it is turning into the corner better.

In addition to that, I ripped out my A/C Smiley  I haven't weighed the parts yet, but I'm very happy to have them out.  The system didn't have a charge and I'm pretty sure it wasn't converted either based on the last time it was heavily driven.  I wasn't about to pay money to convert and charge something that I'd never use.

Also rotated the tires while they were off, and discovered why my center caps are always off center.  Apparently everyone before me that has taken the caps off didn't understand you had to line up the notch on one of the legs to center them...

Camera batteries were dead so didn't get any pictures, will take some next chance I get.

The visual impact on the underside from the bushings and stainless lines is pretty cool, makes me want to get under there and start taking parts off to clean them up.  While diagnosing a leak I pulled off one of my hard lines and removed the black coating of muck on it back to its original finish, started cleaning off the brass line junction.

I hit pick n pull on Friday and got a Taurus 2 speed E-Fan and my fan controller and other parts came in this week, so that will hopefully be going on the car before Saturday so my cooling woes will be gone.
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:19:35 PM by ManiacZX » Logged

ChinaClipper
    Z Jedi

member since 1988!

View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »

Good work man!

Mike "ChinaClipper" Quan
    ZCoT # 183
    1972 silver Datzun 240Z
    2003 silver Nizzan 350Z
    warrenkline
    Administrator
    Z Jedi

View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »

Branson should be nonproblem then....

2011 Frontier
    2010 370Z Roadster (Julie's)
    2009 GTR (Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere)
    jmadd2007
    Global Moderator
    Speed Racer

View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »

Good job Matt!

A/C delete mod in Texas = brave guy

2007 Nissan 350Z
    Silver Alloy, Enthusiast, 6mt
    125k miles and counting...

Nismo|Enkei|Sumitomo|Goodridge|Alpine|Kenwood|Tokico|Hotchkis|Carbotech|ZEnclosures|H&R
    iloveboost
    Z Jedi
    Awards:
      ZCCOTM July 2012

View Profile
      « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »

Yea the heat has gotten to him, can't you tell?  Smiley
      ManiacZX
      Z Jedi
      Awards:
        ZCCOTM August 2012

View Profile
        « Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

I'll try and figure out Branson next week.

Only time I used A/C since I got here was when I first moved down and everyone that came with me was crying about the heat when we were driving around.

The A/C in the Z didn't work and so last summer I never had it on, that is what T-Tops are for Smiley.

I weighed the components today, between the compressor, condensor, condensor fan, blower motor and the various pipes and brackets it was about 50lbs.  I didn't weigh the nuts and bolts, that'd prob be another couple of pounds there were so many.

Been contemplating today how I want the e-fan wired up.  Tested out my fan controller and a little disappointed.  I thought it was a 2 stage controller where it'd power fan #1 at the set temp then fan #2 at 10 degrees higher.  I remembered reading it that way somewhere, I guess it was a different model. 

From testing it with direct power to the controller and heating up the probe with my heat gun, it powers both fan leads at the same time.  So it seems to be a "dual fan" controller only in that it has power leads for two fans (big deal, could have spliced both in on one) but powers them at the same time.

I started suspecting it was going to do that when I saw it just had 1 SPST relay on it...

I may swap it later, but for now the basic plan is to have the fan off by default and then power the low speed mode when it hits X temperature.

It may end up being high speed at X temperature for Saturday if I don't make it to pick and pull in time tomorrow (or they don't have one) to swap mine for a different one as my low speed doesn't seem to be working.

High speed is fine, and wow does this fan move air.  I had it sitting face down on the ground when I powered it and it was creating enough suction where I had to put some force into picking it up.  When I put my hand in front of it to check the pulling force, it pulled my hand towards the blades before I pulled back.

warrenkline
        Administrator
        Z Jedi

View Profile
        « Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »

And I have another 25K on my 94 to catch up with Mike!  Cheesy

I guess I need to buy a really old Z to play this game.

2011 Frontier
        ManiacZX
        Z Jedi
        Awards:
          ZCCOTM August 2012

View Profile
          « Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

I snagged some photos of the removed AC components along with the new hardware of the polys on the sway bars and the stainless lines while doing the fan work.

You can see them here

warrenkline
          Administrator
          Z Jedi

View Profile
          « Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

I like your color choice on the poly bushings....you can never go wrong with red

2011 Frontier
          washingtond
          Z Jedi

Carrollton, Texas

View Profile
          « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »

I am having a hard time getting my arms around driving a car around in North Texas without AC.

David
          Proud original owner of a Red 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo.
          ManiacZX
          Z Jedi
          Awards:
            ZCCOTM August 2012

View Profile
            « Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »

I did decide to use red as my color when doing aftermarket parts.

However, red is also the only color many of my parts come in, like the polys Smiley.

I've been here for two summers and haven't used A/C in either.  105+ here is more comfortable then 90s in Michigan because of humidity.

washingtond
            Z Jedi

Carrollton, Texas

View Profile
            « Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »

I've been here for two summers and haven't used A/C in either.  105+ here is more comfortable then 90s in Michigan because of humidity.

We moved here from Colorado over 20 years ago and I know that I could not go without AC.  But I often think back to the days when cars did not have AC and people seemed to do OK.

David
            iloveboost
            Z Jedi
            Awards:
              ZCCOTM July 2012

View Profile
              « Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

I moved here from Edmonton over 20 years ago also.  It was in the middle of August of course, I thought something was on fire as soon as I stepped off that plane...I still hate to drive around when it's 80 and above outside, even with AC in the car.

Your my hero MATT! LOL
              washingtond
              Z Jedi

Carrollton, Texas

View Profile
              « Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »

I and a group play golf during the summer months but there are two things that you look forward to after the round.  Getting into the cool clubhouse for some lunch and the cool car ride back home. 

David
              ChinaClipper
              Z Jedi

member since 1988!

View Profile
              « Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »

I am having a hard time getting my arms around driving a car around in North Texas without AC.
              My wife and I drove down to TX from Seattle in my 240Z back in 1976.  The 240 did not, and still doesn't, have A/C - it pulls 12 hp from the engine for gosh sakes! Grin
              Of course, we were "young and strong" back then! Cheesy
              Did not get an air conditioned car until 1978, and we have been spoiled ever since. . . . .  Cry
              (Perhaps that is part of why the 240 is neglected of late. . . .  Sad)

Mike "ChinaClipper" Quan
              ZCoT # 183
              1972 silver Datzun 240Z
              2003 silver Nizzan 350Z
              Pages: 1 [2] 3
              Print
              Jump to: